No spark
  • kayvster

No spark

by kayvster » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:45 am

Hi all this is my first post he on CRF'S Only.

I have a CRF450X 2006 that was working fine up until i washed it with a hose. Two weeks later went out for a blast with the boys but did not even get down the road! The bike would start but like a car was not running on all cylinders and sounded rough! Every time I pulled the throttle the bike would die. I started the bike a few times and in the end it would not start at all. I checked the fuel, squirted start ya bastard and still nothing. checked the htc lead and cap with no issues. replaced the spark plug and nothing. checked if i was getting any sparks with the plug out and nothing. Checked the kill switch and disconnected/tested nothing?
    bought a coil - nothing still no spark
    changed cap and lead - nothing
    checked all the forums and called honda who said it could be the stator so ordered a new stator and guess what! yep nothing still no spark.
    The only thing I can think of next in line is the CDI. but though i would take the bike to a bike shop to check out and yep the bike shop could not find the fault!

So I bought a cdi - and yet again nothing!!!

Please help me as I am bout to burn the dam thing as its driving me mad! lol
    Any help would be appreciated very much.

Thanks guys!
    JimDirt

Re: No spark

by JimDirt » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:28 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

I am guessing since the issue started with you washing the bike , i would start by checking all the electrical connections , the ones inside the airbox door would be a good place to start , check the connection where the kill switch wires goes along the frame on the left side right at the steering head , 2 wires each with a single plug , another possibility could be a lot of water in the air filter causing it not to actually fire up , and in your "testing" you might not see a spark because of a poor ground during the test leading you to "think" it has no spark , when you are just not getting any air to the carb , because the air filter is saturated ........that is what i would look at , is a watered down/grounded out connection , or a water saturated air filter which would take forever to dry while installed on the bike , since you have eliminated actual parts as the cause , its down to plug in's and engine breathing ....
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • kayvster

by kayvster » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:38 am

Thanks for the post , will check and get back.
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:51 am

At least you have an excellent collection of spares.
    If you actually have no spark check the connections for the ignition trigger wiring.
    You are only talking smaller voltages for trigger pulses, so it does take much to drop the level to a point the cdi won't fire and everything tests ok. Had a CR80 once that was down 0.2 volts on the pulse and wouldn't fire. Cleaned connections and it fired first kick every time.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • kayvster

by kayvster » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:08 am

Would a rectifier cause not spark? Chked all the cables earth,voltages and,ohm and all seem to be correct.
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:51 am

Just throwing an idea in the mix - The other guy's can confirm since my manuals are packed away for a move.
    But I seem to recall that there is a fuse back under the air filter door ? If it was blown I don't recall what works or does not work, but it might be worth a look ?
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200