CRF450X Stator failure's is what your about read common
  • YZB 500 1975

CRF450X Stator failure's is what your about read common

by YZB 500 1975 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:14 am

Hello all,

I am new to CRF's only and i have a issue with a 05 450X, it's burnt four stators in as many rides according to its owner.

Yes the Stator's are cheap taiwanese stators, i guess you get what you pay for.

The thing is, i have checked over the CDI circuit and it appears fine, But for one thing that strikes me as been odd.

The Yellow/Red wire from the starter button goes to the starter solenoid and CDI unit, this is standard for this model.

But I have found the Black/Red wire at the frame harness were the stator harness plugs in is getting 0.45 volts DC on cranking with the stator harness disconnected. ( Positive prode into Black/Red and negitive probe to frame ground )

The voltage is only there on cranking from the electric starter circuit, the odd thing is it increase's as the starter button is released and a voltage spike of 4.5 DC volts appears briefly.

I feel this is too odd to be normal, I do work on bikes for a living, these days its Harley's and Ducati's for a job and Old dirtbikes from the seventies for pleasure at home.

I get that the 450X Cdi is also using the full wave AC charging circuit to top up the source coil voltage but the starter button voltage, what's the go with that ?

DC current into a AC generating coil can't be a good thing surely?

Has anyone also had stator issues like this bike has.

I have disconnected the Yellow/Red wire going into the CDI, the voltage i found at the Black/Red wire is no longer present.

The bike cranks over, fires up and charges the battery normally, disconnecting the yellow/red from the CDI appears not to have effected on the bike.

At present the bike is running and i will see if the bike returns with another failed stator.

Keep you posted.

I feel the CDI maybe also an issue, but a present the bike runs and rev's out under load.

The bike is a low hour, road going & ADR approved for Australia.

Regards Gibbsy
  • Aussiecrf230

Re: CRF450X Stator failure's is what your about read common

by Aussiecrf230 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:35 pm

Hi Gibbsy welcome to the site. Don't suppose you could post up the wiring diagram for it so I can get my head around it. Aussie bikes do end up with strange things when adr wiring is added but not in a charging circuit.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas