after kick starting i gotta "grinding" noise
    Joel Schmenge

after kick starting i gotta "grinding" noise

by Joel Schmenge » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:30 pm

Hey all,

First time poster long time lurker... anyways I went to kick start my '09 and it kicked back! Went out to ride and I had this "tinging" sound like the muffler shield was loose,well it wasn't! It sounds like the kicker spring is not returning the gear back and kind of making racket.

I need to pull the right case cover and inspect and repair as needed, anyone gotta shop manual? Yeah, I know, go buy one. I just need to fix this...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. Happy Fathers Day to all you!...
    All tools are hammers, except screwdrivers, those are chisels...
    paul turner

by paul turner » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:51 pm

Don't kick or touch that button !!!!! You are very close to ruining the right engine case. Get the Clymer manual stat, study that kickstart repair here, and then proceed. There is a tab bent in there presently, and it will now allow big-time damage.

paul
    If you ain't crashin', you ain't ridin' :-)
    Joel Schmenge

by Joel Schmenge » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:27 am

Hey Paul,

Thanks for the response and I must apologize for sounding belligerent, a couple of adult beverages after thinking you blew your stuff up will do that.

Anyways I took off the right case and found the kick stopper plate broke off and the missing piece nowhere to be found!

Let the search begin and the replacement of a $4 piece! I have a friend who owns a facility that makes things for the Air Force (think F22 Raptor and beyond). I'll ask him about maybe building a better $4 piece. If he has a plan I will have him build multiples and see if anyone wants one for straight cost, no mark up.

I am currently trying to load a pic of the problem and will post back soon, thanks again Paul.

p.s. it ran for about 2-3 laps this way and originally sounded like a loose exhaust heat shield "rattling". Realized it wasn't the shield and parked it. It never made more than a "ringing" or "rattling noise". Of course this was all preceded by the kick starter "kicking" back like my '81 Shovelhead does...

Dave Morgan
    a.k.a. Joel Schmenge
    Joel Schmenge

by Joel Schmenge » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:38 am

YEE-HAWW!!! Success uploading!...
    BOO-HOOO!!! time spent searching/fixing...
    paul turner

by paul turner » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:39 am

"kick stopper plate broke off and the missing piece nowhere to be found!"

Cause for concern. I believe that piece is steel, and needs to be found and removed.

paul
    Joel Schmenge

by Joel Schmenge » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:13 am

SCORE!!! found it (I hope all in one piece once I can fish it out) it is directly below where it mounts and fell straight down. Dang lucky I think not to have traveled and jammed up the clutch or something else.

Joel Schmenge

by Joel Schmenge » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:43 am

Success!.. peice broke clean in two.

Joel Schmenge

by Joel Schmenge » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:06 am

I forgot to ask, can I get the torque specs for the water pump impeller and the right case bolts? I have the clutch cover and the water pump housing from the owners manual.

Thanks...
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:29 pm

IMPELLER
    12 N·m (1.2 kgf·m, 9 lbf·ft)

i do the case cover bolts by feel. tighten in a crisscross order.

ken
    OEM Parts for Honda - Yamaha - Suzuki - Kawasaki: http://yeltrik.com

by C.Worth » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:15 pm

I had the same thing happen to me.. I hit the starter and it popped out the whole inner and outer case.
    Paul probably has more pictures of my bike.. what a memory......Rattle Snake

paul turner

by paul turner » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:41 pm

That was a fun day, sorry CW :P :)

paul
    Joel Schmenge

by Joel Schmenge » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:56 am

HOLY CARP (yeah, I know I spelled it wrong on purpose) What an absolute nightmare! I feel SO lucky!... one other torque spec I forgot to ask for was the bolt for the stop plate.

I will be looking into a new piece made by my friend in the next couple of days. If it is viable I will offer these up to anybody who wants one. I DO NOT WANT TO BLOW MY MOTOR LIKE THAT LAST PIC!....
    crazybrother

by crazybrother » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:27 am

Joel Schmenge wrote:HOLY CARP (yeah, I know I spelled it wrong on purpose) What an absolute nightmare! I feel SO lucky!... one other torque spec I forgot to ask for was the bolt for the stop plate.

I will be looking into a new piece made by my friend in the next couple of days. If it is viable I will offer these up to anybody who wants one. I DO NOT WANT TO BLOW MY MOTOR LIKE THAT LAST PIC!....

I was told that an easy fix, is to weld two plates together and that fixes the issue. I bought a spare plate just waiting for a chance to remove my rightside cover and I'll have it done!
    2009 Honda 450x (Plated)
    2010 Honda VFR 1200
    2008 Honda CBR 600RR (Wifes)
  • staffy24

by staffy24 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:14 am

gee what year is this bike and do you think they have fixed the problem this is just like honda to them its not a big deal but the bloke who just spent 13000.00 aint happy like the decomp problem i had to pay to have mine replaced also on the r the gear box fork or somthing was faulty but to bad if you had a problem fix it your self
    over 40 still ridin hard
    still learning
    Joel Schmenge

by Joel Schmenge » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:55 am

Sorry, I forgot to mention mine is an '09, I had the decomp issue fixed under warranty by the dealer. I bought the bike with 24 miles on it (dude was very proud of not having reset the tripmeter), nipples on the tires, no scuff marks on the pegs, sidecases or anything, all for $4k! What a deal. Dude bought it to chase his kid on a 50cc around the campground, kind of like taking a bazooka to a fish barrel shooting!

About the welding two together, will that even fit?... then you need a longer bolt also. I was thinking of something more robust than the pot metal it's made out of.

I wonder if the BNG on the new ones fixes this problem?...