CRF100 floods into air box randomly
  • Mjleedle

CRF100 floods into air box randomly

by Mjleedle » Sat May 23, 2020 8:15 pm

Son has bought a CRF100 Last fall ran great. Winterized in December. A couple weeks ago we got the bikes out and ran them around the yard, and my wife wanted to try it and laid it on its side at about 10mph. Now every so often it floods fuel into the air box saturating the air filter. Shutting the off the fuel, draining the bowl and then kicking with the throttle open a few times clears it up. I just noticed after a 2 hour drive with fuel off the bottom of the air box had fuel dripping. Opened up the air box and filter was wet with fuel.

Planing on opening up the carb and give it a good cleaning tomorrow. But is there anything specific to this bike I should look for? It’s a 2004 CRF100.
    Last edited by Mjleedle on Sat May 23, 2020 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    JimDirt

Re: CRF100 floods into air box randomly

by JimDirt » Sat May 23, 2020 9:22 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

I am guessing when it fell that the float is now sticking for some reason , that is where I would focus my investigation , look at the float itself and how it is attached to the mount/pivot point , making sure the pin did not partially fall out , as well as the Needle and Seat (it attaches to the float on the tab , if during the tip over the little wire that hooks over the tab got twisted or came off , then it is possible the wire is under the tab instead of wrapped around it , holding the needle open and allowing constant gas flow ....... 8-[

This is the wire on the Float Needle

This is the wire over the tab on the float (not your carb , just to give you a idea of how it should look for identification/location purpose)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Mjleedle

Re: CRF100 floods into air box randomly

by Mjleedle » Sat May 23, 2020 9:48 pm

Jim, that’s what I was assuming, the flooding with the fuel shut off and knowing the bowl was drained when he parked it last weekend had me questioning if there might be something else. How likely is it that the petcock might not be shutting off as well?