New crf 125 revs dropping slowly
  • Kegs

New crf 125 revs dropping slowly

by Kegs » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:46 pm

I have a 2018 crf 125. The bike had a few rides and a few spills that jammed the kill switch and twisted some levers around but that was all fixed easily enough. The next ride I felt a noticeable drop in power and when revved or a quick blip of the throttle the revs wouldn’t return to idle as fast as expected. I took it to the dealership and the guy just said he doesn’t ride a 125 so he has no baseline but the bike feels normal. I feel like I’m crazy but there is something not right. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    JimDirt

Re: New crf 125 revs dropping slowly

by JimDirt » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:03 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

If the throttle seems "sticky" , did you happen to fall on the throttle side of the bars ??? , if so it is possible that the throttle tube and housing got pushed in on the bar , which would make the end of the grip rub on the bar causing it to drag slightly , what I would try is to loosen the pinch bolts holding the throttle assembly on , enough so you can slide it back and forth on the bar , then move it slightly to the outside of the bar maybe 1/4 inch or so to allow a little space between the end of the bar and grip , then tighten it back down , and work the throttle and see if it feels better .....
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Kegs

by Kegs » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:04 am

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

If the throttle seems "sticky" , did you happen to fall on the throttle side of the bars ??? , if so it is possible that the throttle tube and housing got pushed in on the bar , which would make the end of the grip rub on the bar causing it to drag slightly , what I would try is to loosen the pinch bolts holding the throttle assembly on , enough so you can slide it back and forth on the bar , then move it slightly to the outside of the bar maybe 1/4 inch or so to allow a little space between the end of the bar and grip , then tighten it back down , and work the throttle and see if it feels better .....
    That’s a good idea, thanks! I’ll try that today. Any idea what could be causing the loss of power?
  • Kegs

by Kegs » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:06 am

I thought I already responded to your post but I’ll try again. Thanks for the advice! I’ll try that out today. Any idea what could be causing the loss of power?
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:07 am

I am guessing , that if the throttle tube is bound up , that not only would it hold idle high , but it may not be opening all the way , falling over should not affect the power delivery , so look at the obvious first , since the bike ran fine before the fall/s , i would think it has something to do with something damaged in the fall , either the throttle tube or possibly cable , or less likely , the kill switch you mentioned , the kill switch might affect the bike from starting at all , or dying while riding , but should not include a power loss , so if the throttle tube was jammed , its possible its no longer getting full throttle as well as being bound up causing the idle issues , either by the force of the impact , or by dirt inside the housing or throttle tube itself , is it possible the cable housing got pinched or bent/kinked somewhere it is exposed ?? , look at the items bent/moved/damaged in the fall/s , the issue is most likely with one or more of them , if the bike ran fine before , this leaves those items as most likely to be at fault , and they need to be checked out to eliminate , or confirm if they are contributing to the issue
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho