Clutch
  • akpd

Clutch

by akpd » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:58 pm

Silly question, with the engine off & in gear, with the clutch pulled in should you be able to move the bike as if in neutral?
    Charlotte NC

2008 CRF250R, Grandson's bike I'm the repairer/fixer... LOL
    Work in progress,1968 Firebird resto-mod
  • Back2-2

Re: Clutch

by Back2-2 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:26 pm

It depends - Is the transmission in gear or true neutral?
    If the bike is in a gear and clutch pulled in there is still significant drag when being pushed. If the bike is in true neutral and the clutch pulled in there should be no resistance other than the drive chain, the bikes weight and tires.
    True neutral with the clutch being pulled in has no effect to the drive train as there is no engagement of any rolling mass of the clutch or transmission.

Hope that answers your question.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:54 pm

And if in gear with the lever pulled all the way in and it is still trying to turn the rear wheel over, it hasn’t properly declutched. Could be cable adjustment or could be a notched up clutch basket.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • akpd

by akpd » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:13 am

Aussiecfr230-
    I believe your correct (clutch basket) & will be checking it out, ordered new disks & steels, will install regardless or not if it needs a new basket.
    Clutch is a little grabby & cables are adjusted correctly. This is my Grandson's bike we just bought for him & want to make sure it works well for him.

Cheers
    Charlotte NC

2008 CRF250R, Grandson's bike I'm the repairer/fixer... LOL
    Work in progress,1968 Firebird resto-mod
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:31 pm

If the clutch has been overworked in the past the plates could have been warped and this can cause it to grab as well. The wrong oil could also cause it to drag. Inspect everything when you have it apart and post pictures if your not sure. Mild notching can be carefully filed out.
    I am sure he will have fun once back together.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas