Swingarm pivot bolt stuck, cannot remove
  • dharsay

Swingarm pivot bolt stuck, cannot remove

by dharsay » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:44 pm

Any ideas?

2015 CRF150R and I'm installing a longer RB swingarm, but cannot get the bolt out... linkages disconnected, sprayed penetrant, beat with a thick brass drift and a very big hammer, and it seems to be just stuck.
    JimDirt

Re: Swingarm pivot bolt stuck, cannot remove

by JimDirt » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:50 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

I am guessing that it is frozen where it goes into the engine case , just had a issue like this with a buddys 02 CR250 , and we tried beating it , spray penatrents , and heat , and ended up having to cut it off carefully where the swingarm attaches , we used a wheel grinder with a very thin wheel so it would do minimal damage , you will need to remove the subframe to get it out of your way , removing the shock will be a must as well , you have to be patient if your going to do this , but once you get the swingarm off , then you can get the remnants out easier , most of it will fall out , it is possible you may have to beat it out of the case , then replace the collar that the bolt sits in in the engine case once you get everything separated , you will need a new swingarm bolt , and most likely a new collar

Unfortunately , when those things freeze in there , its tough getting them out , especially without damaging more stuff , this is why periodic maintenance includes greasing the swingarm bolt and linkages , just so you don't have issues like this , but unfortunately , most people skip this and this is the outcome , every winter the swingarm should come off and everything cleaned and greased with a waterproof grease (I use Maxima Blue Waterproof Grease) , it really sucks , but basically , blunt force , lubrication , and heat are about the only possible ways to get it out , if it will not come out with those methods , then cutting is your only alternative .... :cry:
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:01 am

Jim pretty much summed it up. It sounds like you have tried all the tricks with still no luck. The only thing I might add is to try giving the penetrating oil extra time to work. Good penetrating oil can really work if give ample time to "penetrate".
    I had a CR250 I was working on the required cutting out as Jim described. It's an ugly way to have to do it but sometimes ugly is all that's available.

Let us know how it comes out - Figuratively and literally.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
  • dharsay

by dharsay » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:16 pm

Thanks Guys,

Luckily persistence and letting the penetrating oil do it's work over time and repeated trials finally worked. Agree with all of the recommendations if that means anything, obviously this bike was riddent through creeks and mud and rain and never properly maintained, even though it's only a 2015 model.

Thanks again,
    Dave
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:59 am

Excellent news Dave. Yes, number one thing people don't do is let penetrating oil do it's thing and "penetrate" - Good for you on knowing what to do. Sure beats cutting it apart.

Thank you for the follow up. =DD
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
  • Leardriver

by Leardriver » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:44 am

Good outcome!
    That is one of the most unpleasant fixes in motorcycling. Heat, oil, pounding, profane utterances are all required.
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:56 pm

And like all things motorcycle, knowing when to walk away before the utterances become bike violence. This generally creates more work at great expense. Glad to hear you got it out. Had a CR80 one like that years ago.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • ringnalda

by ringnalda » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:08 am

I had a similar problem with a CRF150RB. Swingarm bolt was seized and someone else had previously tried to take it out. BFH did nothing. So the press was put into play. It almost needed 20 tonnes to move this thing, but it did finally give up and come out. Tricky part was to support the frame straight so the force was purely axial. Did this by myself but I can see putting the press in an open space and getting the bike supported by a couple buddies to do this without stripping the whole thing...
    You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:15 pm

Well 20 tonnes is a bit scary should anything let go, especially in an unplanned way. Supporting frame and case would have to be very exacting. Glad you got that one out. Gun
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas