Kickstart stuck after valve adjustment.
  • airbur

Kickstart stuck after valve adjustment.

by airbur » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:02 pm

2007 CRF450R Stock.

I did the valve adjustment per the Honda Service Manual. Clearance is now at .178 on both which is within tolerance.

After reassembling the kickstart will cycle once or twice and then lock up.

I checked Cam timing and punchmarks...they all line up at TDC. The index line on the cam sprocket is as close as I can get it to the mark on the camshaft holder.

I checked clearances again and they are at .178. Not sure what is causing the problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    JimDirt

Re: Kickstart stuck after valve adjustment.

by JimDirt » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:09 am

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

If its locking up as your kicking the engine over , its going to be a timing issue , either you are off on the timing and the open valve is hitting the piston , or you let the chain drop when it was disassembled and the chain is bunched up on the bottom sprocket hitting the deflector that keeps the chain from falling off the bottom sprocket behind the flywheel , or the Tensioner is over extended and jamming the chain , I am hoping you removed the tensioner when pulling the gear , if you did not it will get caught and pop out , not only possibly damaging the tensioner , but allowing the chain to drop off the bottom sprocket and causing the lock up

You need to test to see if the chain is on correctly , so remove the spark plug , and remove the tensioner , then remove the sprocket from the cam , and hold the chain snug (you can use a screwdriver handle or something in the sprocket to allow it to spin , or just remove the sprocket and hold the chain with the handle , now , while holding the chain snug , turn the engine over by hand (or have someone help you) while holding tension on the chain , see if the engine will now turn more than what it was before when it was locking up , if it does , then you know the chain is free from binding at the bottom and still on the bottom sprocket and you were most likely out of time , if this is the case then align the small plug mark on the ignition side with the flywheel , then make sure the counter balancer gear mark is aligned with the case on the clutch side large round plug , you can verify TDC by sticking a long thin screwdriver down in the plug hole and move the engine back and forth using a socket on the balancer bolt and the screwdriver should be at its upper most movement and you should see the mark on the flywheel at that time , then confirm the balancer mark , then install your cam tower while pointing the cam lobes to 2 o clock position facing rear of engine , the 2 marks on the cam sprocket should be aligned flat with the head , then install the tensioner after resetting it in , then spring the engine over by the kick start and see if it rotates several revolutions , and end with the cam lobes facing 2 o clock and recheck marks , if everything is still aligned , you are in time and should not have any lock up now , replace the plug and start the bike ....

Report back with findings ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • MaddHatter1

by MaddHatter1 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:01 pm

I’ve got this same problem with my 2006 crf450r. Everything is in speck timing marks lined up properly
    Chain in its place. If I rotate engine it rotates past the exhaust valves until it gets to the intake valves and then it gets stuck
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:25 am

I’ve got this same problem with my 2006 crf450r. Everything is in speck timing marks lined up properly
    Chain in its place. If I rotate engine it rotates past the exhaust valves until it gets to the intake valves and then it gets stuck
    Welcome to the site !! \:D/

Where are the cam lobes facing when the marks are aligned ??? , if it is anywhere but at the 2 o-clock position facing the rear looking from the shifter side , then the timing is off 180 degrees ....... Generally the only way a engine will lock up , especially after a valve adjustment , is because the timing is off , and the valves hit the piston , that is what causes the lockup ....it happens more than you think , the key is to align all the marks , then place the cam sprocket so the cam is facing as I mentioned and the marks on the sprocket are level with the head (like this - - ) , , then put in and snug a bolt , then rotate enough to get the other bolt in , and torque both , then install the tensioner , then rotate the engine till the marks on the cam align as mentioned , and the lobes are facing rearwards , and recheck to make sure you are not a tooth off , if ALL marks align (the large plug on the clutch side , the small plug on the ignition side and the cam marks) , you should be good to go ,then you should be able to rotate with no issues ...

When all marks are aligned the cam should be facing exactly like this

2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho