250f rebuild/shops in Vancouver, Canada
  • JDMobesity

250f rebuild/shops in Vancouver, Canada

by JDMobesity » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:22 am

I'm quite new to the moto scene and I've got a '09 CRF250R in need of what I believe is a top end rebuild. I've never gotten a rebuild before so I'm unfamiliar with the process and the steps to take in getting this done in a safe and efficient manner. I was wondering if anyone knew of any reputable shops in or near Vancouver, Canada (where I live) that could look at my bike and help me out with my situation. About 6 months ago I got an inspection on the bike and the shop told me that my cam bearings had "spun in their journals", requiring the installation of a new cam along with the rebuild. I haven't had anything done to the bike since the inspection so the motor is still in this state. She's running but I'm afraid that the motor is a ticking time bomb and would like a shop to take a look at it, let me know what needs to be replaced and get the rebuild done without me worrying about getting taken advantage of. I'm currently out of the country in school but have plans to get this done once I'm back. Any tips, recommendations, or help would be greatly appreciated!
    JimDirt

Re: 250f rebuild/shops in Vancouver, Canada

by JimDirt » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:32 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

If the shop did do a rebuild and you have the receipt , it should tell you what exactly they did and did not do , if you can give us a idea of what exactly was done with the "rebuild" then we can suggest what to have them look into , so your not replacing unnecessary things that do nothing but cost extra ........ If the engine was actually "rebuilt" and done correctly , and you have not put a ton of hours or beat it to death , then I would not think that you will need much if anything done at all .... again , it is pertinent as to what actually was done and how many hours the bike has had on it since this work was supposedly done ....

Don't have a clue as to a reputable shop in your area personally , but what i would suggest is to talk to people at the track (not sure if you track ride or not) or people that you either ride with , or regularly see riding , and see who they use/recommend , as that is a good indicator of whom is trusted in your area and who is known to do good or bad work .... and will most likely get you pointed in the right direction .... ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • JDMobesity

by JDMobesity » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:29 pm

The shop didn't actually do a rebuild, they just recommended one. I had them do an inspection, and the shop recommended that I get a valve adjustment after the results came back as the bike was extremely hard to start once warm. After opening up the motor, they claimed to have found a problem and on the invoice stated "When we pulled the cam we found that the cam bearings had spun in their journals. Outer races, alignment clips and cam bearing journals in the cylinder head are all damaged due to improper install. Recommend full top end rebuild". The only work they did was adjust and shim the valves. They told me it was fine to run but would eventually need a new top end. Attached are the photos they sent me but I have very little idea what is going on in the photos, I'm very inexperienced when it comes to motor stuff. When I bought the bike, the owner claimed that it had a total of 60 hours on it and had never been rebuilt. Since purchasing the bike I've probably put a total of 15-20 hours on it maximum.
    You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:06 pm

In looking at it , it does look like something happened with the cam bearings , my concern is that they said to go ahead and ride it like that , not what i would have recommended as it can lead to all sorts of failures if shrapnel strat migrating thru the engine

After looking at the head , what I would recommend is replacing the head complete (you can buy one here , or at the Dealer) but you would need a complete head with valves , etc. and possibly a cam and definitely a cam tower and cam bearings to do it correctly , what I would recommend is to replace the Timing chain , at the least the rings , if not piston and rings depending on what it looks like on the skirt , and the complete head , after that you should be good to go for a long time , I would personally recommend , going to Stainless Steel Intakes and matching springs , if your not racing and hitting the rev limiter every 20 ft like Justin Barcia , then Stainless will be fine for any of us regular mortals , i run them in both my bikes and i race my 450R with them , and have not had to adjust the valves since i installed the Stainless in 08 in my 450R and since 06 in my 450X , if that says anything about longevity , The head will cost the most , but in the long run , when the head gets damaged like that , its better to just replace it than worry about it failing again later on
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • JDMobesity

by JDMobesity » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:52 pm

Wow thanks for the help! Your reply is a lot more in depth than what I expected. I made a post on Vital MX as well and someone also mentioned stainless valves and matching springs. I'll definitely look into that. I'll stick to oem parts as much as possible but how much do you reckon I'm going to be spending on a job like this? I've heard numbers anywhere from $1k to upwards of $2k+ (CAD that is) including parts and labor.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:33 pm

Basically its going to depend on what is done or how extensive you want to get as far as who does the work , etc. , as the price will vary greatly depending on brand of parts , who is doing the work , and what you choose to have done , etc.

As far as my post being "in depth" , I have a tendency to elaborate on everything (just ask anyone here :-~ ) , just so the person is as informed as I would want to be when asking about things ... If you look over any of my posts here , I try to help and be as in depth as i can , as it makes it easier for the person that is in need of info , and it helps others who might have the same issue ... not saying I am always right or have all the answers , but I try to help as best I can , that's what this place is for ........ and there are others here that are as informative as I am , we are all just guys that love bikes and riding here , most of us are getting older , so we try to give out what knowledge we have before we forget it all :-s (I'm 59 so that might explain my anal posts)

Now back to pricing and so on , you can look over this link and it will give you a idea as to the costs of some of this , Ken (the owner here) is very fair with his prices and does excellent work , I am recommending him because i trust what he does and I know he will not do things just to do them , he works with people and their budgets and tries to give them what they need and will try to work within their budget and still give them what they need as best he can , there are lots of reputable shops out there , so you may have to do some comparison shopping as you will get a variance of prices and a variance on what they think or suggest you need done

With that said , look thru this link and see what parts and labor will be here and use that to compare with others you have or will confer with , as there are lots of options on the parts and how involved you can or want to get into this , Just look over the entire page and associated links , this will give you a good idea of what the cost may be , it can be low and simple or you can go all out with all the "good stuff" and be happy either way , but no one here will tell you you need something you don't , that much I do know ..... https://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/258
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • JDMobesity

by JDMobesity » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:34 pm

I've just posted on several other forums expecting at least a little bit of help and many have just told me to sell my bike :roll: so I really do appreciate it.

I'll take a look around and see what my options are, I am on a little bit of a budget so I'm going to try and stick with oem parts as much as possible. Again, thanks a ton for your help. I'll make an update post on what I intend to do/end up doing and hopefully I'll have the bike up and running for this summer! Cheers
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:47 pm

I've just posted on several other forums expecting at least a little bit of help and many have just told me to sell my bike :roll: so I really do appreciate it.

I'll take a look around and see what my options are, I am on a little bit of a budget so I'm going to try and stick with oem parts as much as possible. Again, thanks a ton for your help. I'll make an update post on what I intend to do/end up doing and hopefully I'll have the bike up and running for this summer! Cheers
    What you could do , being on a budget , is maybe try a used head from eBay , it may not be new , and may eventually need valves , but if it gets you thru till you can do a winter teardown and do the valves , which is part of "maintenance" anyway , then you will save yourself several hundred anyway , its worth a try , and you will most likely end up with a decent head , if anything , it will be in better shape than yours , try to get a complete one that includes the cam , tower , and rocker arms , and you should be in good shape ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • JDMobesity

by JDMobesity » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:00 pm

If I'm going to do a rebuild I'll probably want to do it right the first time. I'll definitely look into that, I think keeping all my options open is the right thing to do but I'm definitely willing to spend a little extra on new parts, just not the ones that don't need replacing. With that said, I'll look into all the options. If I find a slightly used head for a good deal then I'll obviously consider.
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:12 pm

In the third photo is that pitting on the cam lobe or just some oil?
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas