2019 CRF450r abnormal tick
  • Yamaripper415

2019 CRF450r abnormal tick

by Yamaripper415 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:22 am

So I am at a loss on this one. My bike with 20 hrs on it is making this gnarly tick. Long story short I’ve swapped out basically every moving part in the head from my 2017 including the cam chain tensioner.(which I initially thought was the issue). After that not remedying the issue I tore the motor down as far as splitting the cases for inspection. Still nothing out of the ordinary, bearings gears ,crank, clutch, everything was in perfect condition as it should be at such low hrs. Put it all back together and even threw in a new piston for good measure. Start it up and the noise is still there. At this point I’m on edge with this bike lol. Any help would be appreciated.
    JimDirt

Re: 2019 CRF450r abnormal tick

by JimDirt » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:37 am

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

You know what I think , it sounds to me like the Auto-Decompressor is what is ticking/rattling , maybe check the spring , and make sure the setup is free and moves but goes back into place , check the pin for damage , etc. ... otherwise I would suggest checking valve clearance , but from your description , you have already done that along with a complete tear down ...but my first thought is Decompressor or a "valve Train" issue , which includes chain , tensioner , cam ,buckets , decompressor , but it definitely sounds like its in the valve train somewhere , sorry can't give a more enlightening reply , but I find it odd , as I am sure you do , that such a low hour bike would start making noises out of the blue like that ....... 8-[ :-k
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Yamaripper415

by Yamaripper415 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:26 am

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

You know what I think , it sounds to me like the Auto-Decompressor is what is ticking/rattling , maybe check the spring , and make sure the setup is free and moves but goes back into place , check the pin for damage , etc. ... otherwise I would suggest checking valve clearance , but from your description , you have already done that along with a complete tear down ...but my first thought is Decompressor or a "valve Train" issue , which includes chain , tensioner , cam ,buckets , decompressor , but it definitely sounds like its in the valve train somewhere , sorry can't give a more enlightening reply , but I find it odd , as I am sure you do , that such a low hour bike would start making noises out of the blue like that ....... 8-[ :-k

Thank you for the reply.
    Those where my initial thoughts too but I should of added in the post I have another 450 which I swapped out basically every moving part including the entire cam with the decompression assembly. All valve clearances are in spec. Both me and my buddy who I sent very experienced in working on bikes never heard a sound quite like this one in a bike. And the inconsistency of it throws us off even more. Honda’s have been nothing short of reliable for me up until this point, and im pretty hard on equipment.
  • Yamaripper415

by Yamaripper415 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:06 pm

Ended up being ovaled out intake valve guides in case anyone has a similar issue.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:59 pm

Glad you got it figured out , and I am wondering , was it a guide that was loose and ovaled ?? , or it was just worn , with no other known cause ?? , you might want to contact Honda Support , they may cover everything , i have heard stories when guys have had something go wrong with a low hour bike , and Honda stepped up and covered it , so its something you might check into .... especially with such low hours as yours has ,you would think it has to be something that happened during assembly ................ I would not be surprised if they just give you a new head ....
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho