Gaskets
  • Tunster

Gaskets

by Tunster » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:32 pm

Something ive been wondering about.
    When you rebuild engines and apply the gaskets do you put them on dry or add a gasket paste or like me apply a thin grease to the gasket.
    What do you guys do? Im interested to know.
  • Aussiecrf230

Re: Gaskets

by Aussiecrf230 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:46 pm

Most gaskets nowadays are meant to go on dry unless manufacture says use with whatever goo. A lot of head gaskets have a coating to ensure the seal against the surfaces they are trying to seal. I believe you could still use grease on a paper gasket especially if it is often removed.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:34 pm

Like Ray mentioned , for paper gaskets , grease is fine , I would not use it on head gaskets for the reason Ray mentioned , you can use a Copper sealant made for head gaskets , but you really do not need it , for Ignition Cover gaskets , grease is fine and if your removing it for regular maintenance like Timing chain replacement , etc. and for base gaskets for the cylinder the grease is fine , as the grease helps with not destroying the gasket so it can be reused several times if wanted if your replacing pistons frequently

But i always recommend using a new head gasket as that is one gasket you do not want compromised by reuse , so no need for anything for sealant ....
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Tunster

by Tunster » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:41 am

I rarely re use gaskes but grease as you say makes them easier to remove next time around. I agree what you say regarding headgaskets and base for that matter. I always put new on its just not worth the mither if they dont seal properly.
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:08 pm

The thing with base gasket/ head gasket combos, was depending on the thickness of each you could play around with compression a little.

Probably the only head gasket you would reuse would be a copper shim type. Even then they would normally be annealed before reuse.
    I haven't seen that sort since I was a young fella, but lots still play with old time bikes.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • Tunster

by Tunster » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:48 am

Yes i dd 10 years racing the twinshock scene here in the uk on a 440 and 490 maicos. They used the copper head gasket. Probably the best years i ever had on and off the track.But thats another story.
  • mframpton

by mframpton » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:04 pm

Something ive been wondering about.
    When you rebuild engines and apply the gaskets do you put them on dry or add a gasket paste or like me apply a thin grease to the gasket.
    What do you guys do? Im interested to know.
    I use Cometic when possible. On the side covers I put a little silicone grease around them so I don't have to scrape. In a pinch I've had to re-use a stator cover gasket once which worked fine but the next time I had to do maintenance it was stuck badly and had to be scraped. I think it's because the oil had saturated it.