2005 CRF250X Won't Start
  • water224

2005 CRF250X Won't Start

by water224 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:44 pm

Hi everyone,

I bought a 2005 crf250x second-hand. When I first rode it, it started right up and ran wonderfully. After sitting for about 3 weeks, it will not even come close to starting, no sputtering or anything, the e-start will just sit there and crank. This is despite going through the normal start procedure (clutch in, choke out, a few twists on the throttle, etc.) I took the head off, inspected the valves (they are in spec), pulled the plug and checked for spark, and verified that gas was getting into the carburator. After pulling the plug, I noticed that it was totally dry. I then took the carb off and cleaned all the jets with carb cleaner and compressed air suspecting a plug jet was preventing the spark plug from getting fuel. Before re-assembling the carb, I verified that each jet was clear. When I put everything back together however, still no luck starting. The plug is still dry even after cleaning the carb. Has anyone had experience on these bikes with a faulty/plugged accelerator pump? Any thoughts or help would be very much appreciated. Thanks! 
    JimDirt

Re: 2005 CRF250X Won't Start

by JimDirt » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:57 pm

Hi everyone,

I bought a 2005 crf250x second-hand. When I first rode it, it started right up and ran wonderfully. After sitting for about 3 weeks, it will not even come close to starting, no sputtering or anything, the e-start will just sit there and crank. This is despite going through the normal start procedure (clutch in, choke out, a few twists on the throttle, etc.) I took the head off, inspected the valves (they are in spec), pulled the plug and checked for spark, and verified that gas was getting into the carburator. After pulling the plug, I noticed that it was totally dry. I then took the carb off and cleaned all the jets with carb cleaner and compressed air suspecting a plug jet was preventing the spark plug from getting fuel. Before re-assembling the carb, I verified that each jet was clear. When I put everything back together however, still no luck starting. The plug is still dry even after cleaning the carb. Has anyone had experience on these bikes with a faulty/plugged accelerator pump? Any thoughts or help would be very much appreciated. Thanks! 
    Welcome to the site !! \:D/

When you mentioned that you "verified gas was getting into the carburetor" , did you mean from the fuel line/valve , or by twisting the throttle with the airboot off so you could see the Accelerator Pump actually squirting ?? , if you did not see any fuel actually "squirt" into the carb , then it will have a hard time running , though the vacuum of the engine should suck the gas into the jets , without that "squirt" its going to have a real rough time starting , especially when the engine is cold

Generally 3 weeks is not long enough for the gas to go bad (more like 3 months for non ethanol) , i would look at the pilot jet still being clogged , without a "Jet Cleaning Tool" such as this one
    https://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/produc ... ts_id/4294 , just blowing the jet with carb cleaner and air is most likely not going to be good enough to actually clear the pilot enough to make any noticeable difference , if the AP is bad then it won't squirt as well , so if either or both are a issue , that would cause your symptoms

To verify its a fuel issue , remove your plug again , and get some gas on it (drip a few drops onto the tip) and reinstall it (don't leave it loose , tighten it as normal) , then try to start it , if it pops or actually starts for a second , then you have verified its a fuel starvation issue , which would be one or a combination of the following
    1) Float Level too low
    2) Needle and Seat (for the float) stuck
    3) Pilot Jet clogged (if you don't have the tool shown in the link , then just replace the jet , they are about $6)
    4) Accelerator Pump Diaphragm torn or old and stiff
    5) Accelerator Pump Squirt not timed and gas is just hitting the slide and not actually getting into the carb , (but this would mainly affect bogging , not running)
    6) Hot Start Plunger stuck out causing a Lean Condition (remove it and clean it with steel wool till the copper shines , and verify that the cable is free and fully functional)

That is where i would start , it should give you some confirmation as to the issue if it is fuel related and what the culprit is ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Crfroe

by Crfroe » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:06 pm

Quick question. I have an 05 crf250r, and when cold, starts like a dream, but after riding for a while and shutting her off, its INSANELY hard to start, while kicking it, fuel starts to come out of carb drains and the only way I've been able to get it to start when this happens is by shutting off fuel and tilting bike to drain the carb. Anyone have any advice? It doesnt seem like the float is sticking.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:38 pm

Quick question. I have an 05 crf250r, and when cold, starts like a dream, but after riding for a while and shutting her off, its INSANELY hard to start, while kicking it, fuel starts to come out of carb drains and the only way I've been able to get it to start when this happens is by shutting off fuel and tilting bike to drain the carb. Anyone have any advice? It doesn't seem like the float is sticking.
    It sounds like either the float is too high , or the needle/seat is sticking and making the bike flood , my guess would be float is too high , because when you start the bike cold you are usually using the Choke , so it would be running richer , therefor consuming more gas , thus it wouldn't be overflowing , then as you are riding , you are using the gas up , and you would not notice it dripping because you are riding and looking forwards , not looking under the bike ..... so I would check the float adjustment then go from there .... :-k
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Crfroe

by Crfroe » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:47 pm

Quick question. I have an 05 crf250r, and when cold, starts like a dream, but after riding for a while and shutting her off, its INSANELY hard to start, while kicking it, fuel starts to come out of carb drains and the only way I've been able to get it to start when this happens is by shutting off fuel and tilting bike to drain the carb. Anyone have any advice? It doesn't seem like the float is sticking.
    It sounds like either the float is too high , or the needle/seat is sticking and making the bike flood , my guess would be float is too high , because when you start the bike cold you are usually using the Choke , so it would be running richer , therefor consuming more gas , thus it wouldn't be overflowing , then as you are riding , you are using the gas up , and you would not notice it dripping because you are riding and looking forwards , not looking under the bike ..... so I would check the float adjustment then go from there .... :-k

That's another thing I've noticed, that when the bike is cold, I dont need the choke to start it, it's weird and obviously makes me think I'm running rich already, but I want to figure out my overflowing carb issue when hot first
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:31 pm

As I mentioned , you need to look at the float level , I think it will resolve all or most of the issues you are experiencing .. ;)

Besides that , lets start with some basics (we need this info to help)

What is the current jetting and what elevation are you at ??

Fuel Screw: How many turns out from lightly seated ?

Pilot Jet: Size

Main Jet: Size

Elevation:
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:41 am

Careful Jim looks like two different posters so maybe not same issue.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:08 pm

Careful Jim looks like two different posters so maybe not same issue.

Yea , I noticed , seems to be the going thing right now , there are a few more topics going on where people are adding their own issue to a already going issue ...... but yea , I am keeping track .....I think ... 8-[ :-k
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho