2015 crf250r - teal liquid
  • revbungie

2015 crf250r - teal liquid

by revbungie » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:55 pm

Hey guys -

i got a new-to-me 250R around thanksgivings, the bike is in mind condition, and until the past weekend no issues.

I went to the garage and noticed a small (about silver dollar sized) spot on the garage floor, it had been about a week since I last rode it, and the spot was not there before.

I ran my finger through it, and it had a slightly oily smell, and was "slick" in nature. The color was odd - it was like a teal color.

Visual inspection didnt find any obvious places it was leaking from, and the position of the mark on the ground was almost directly under the center of the bike (around where the foot pegs are at, perhaps a little behind them.

There was no obvious areas that are wet on the underside of the bike, and for the life of me i could not find anything. So thinking perhaps it was something spilled there, by one of my kids, I cleaned it up, and then put a white napkin down on the ground, didnt move the bike. Checked this weekend, and the napkin has a silver dollar sized teal stain on it, so I def know its coming off the bike somewhere.

Any ideas -its an odd color, I was thinking perhaps coolant or maybe gearbox oil (but i thought gearbox oil was usually red).

Thanks much

Rev
    crfsonly
    Owner

Re: 2015 crf250r - teal liquid

by crfsonly » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:03 pm

Welcome to CRF's Only. First thought is air filter oil. There's a drain at the bottom of the air box.

Ken
    OEM Parts for Honda - Yamaha - Suzuki - Kawasaki: http://yeltrik.com

by Aussiecrf230 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:48 pm

If by teal you mean grey/blue then airfilter oil would be my guess. Don't let it harden nothing removes it.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:34 am

That sounds like the water pump. The weep hole is leaking coolant. Seal time. Look really closely on the lower corner of the water pump for traces.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:42 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

One other place to look/touch is the shock shaft , it could be the shock seal is leaking and the drip would come from the same general area , try to stick a paper towel or your finger on the shock shaft up near the seal , if its wet , there is your leak , if not then the area's as Ken and Neil and Ray suggested is what to eliminate as the cause , you can undo the large round plug on the clutch side of the case and stick your finger in the opening and see if the oil in there resembles the oil/liquid your finding and confirm or eliminate the gearbox or possible countershaft sprocket seal

The weep hole Neil is talking about is at the bottom side of the water pump , holding your finger over the hole should show signs of moisture , or when running the bike , it should drip ,

Then as Ken and Ray suggested , at the bottom of the airbox is a tube that looks like a finger , it seems closed off at the end , but it has a slit in the end , and it allows filter oil or water that enters the airbox to drain off ,if its wet with the liquid your noticing , then it is your issue , and no worries with the exception of doing a good cleaning of the airbox and removing and cleaning the drain nipple to rid the leak

Also if you have crashed or had the bike lying on its side for any time , while running , the crankcase overflow tubes could have had oil go into them and its just draining out and no worries ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho