Crank bearing retainer plate screw thread locker
  • snydes

Crank bearing retainer plate screw thread locker

by snydes » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:43 am

The service manual calls for “Honda Lock 3 or equivalent” thread locker. Honda Lock 3 is labeled as high strength semi permanent, all other high strength tread lockers I’ve seen are permanent only removable with heat. Anyone know if there is anything special with the Honda Lock 3 or can I just use a standard high strength thread locker?

Thanks
  • Aussiecrf230

Re: Crank bearing retainer plate screw thread locker

by Aussiecrf230 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:33 pm

Hi,
    If it is located in a spot where applied heat is going to cause problems then you have already answered your question about which sort to use.
    You need the highest strength that can still be undone with normal tools. Did you have to use heat to get it off!

This link to advrider has a great thread on loctite products and uses and real life queries.
    Apologies Ken but I don't think we have a resident loctite rep here.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/loctite.265016/
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • snydes

by snydes » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:06 am

It came apart without heat. I was having trouble locating the Honda product locally but I did manage to find some in the end. It seems there are no equivalent products that are high strength and “semi permanent” that I am aware of. I’ve heard some say to just use a high strength thread locker and that may be fine if you never plan on working on it again.
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:40 pm

The only bikes I have ever seen red loctite used is Harley internal parts. The rest of us use the various strength of blue loctite. I have found you will kill Japanese bike bolts getting then off if you do use the red.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:23 am

Being in aerospace engineering for 35 years I found a locktite product for every application we encountered. I guarantee that Honda does not manufacture the locking product they recommend. My guess its a locktite product. :D
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
  • snydes

by snydes » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:20 am

Being in aerospace engineering for 35 years I found a locktite product for every application we encountered. I guarantee that Honda does not manufacture the locking product they recommend. My guess its a locktite product. :D
    That was my thought as well.