Crf450x basic maintenance oils and coolant.
  • Rguinn1207

Crf450x basic maintenance oils and coolant.

by Rguinn1207 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:21 pm

I'm new to this forum, and to the Honda CRF450X (2006)as well. I am wondering which oil to use, trany fluid and which coolant to use for this bike? Can I use fluids from any auto parts store or should I just use the Honda stuff? I live in the mountains and will be storing it for a long period of time and will be following the long term storage procedures in the manual.
    JimDirt

Re: Crf450x basic maintenance oils and coolant.

by JimDirt » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:39 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

Oil is a "user" choice for the most part , the things you do need to worry about is whether it meets the standards that the engine needs to run well and last , especially for the clutch , as it needs a wet clutch compatible oil or you will fry it

Generally speaking , Motorcycle Specific oils are highly recommended , but i have used Shell Rotella (Blue bottle full synthetic) in my bikes without issues as it meets the JASA and MA standards that these bikes need to run

I just switched to Maxima (full synthetic) in my 450R because i am at the track a lot with it and like how it shifts better/smoother than with the Rotella , , but i am still using the Rotella in my 06 450X , that said , as mentioned , do your research , but i would not recommend just grabbing any automotive oil and putting it in your engine and transmission (oil is separate for engine and tranny on the X , but you can use the same oil type/weight in both sides , i would recommend running a Full Quart in the tranny side , and use the recommended amount in the engine side)

As for Coolant , again , you need a coolant that will work with Aluminum engine and radiators , so again , i personally would recommend a motorcycle specific coolant , i personally use "Engine Ice" , it raises the overheating temp and its made to work in our bikes , where i live we get 20 below zero to 110 above temps , and i have had less issues with overheating and evaporation since switching to the Engine Ice

Hope that helped some ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Rguinn1207

by Rguinn1207 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:38 am

Awesome, thank you. And thanks for the quick response.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:46 pm

No problem ,!! :mrgreen:
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho