FMF exhaust systems-whats the favorite?
  • marks

FMF exhaust systems-whats the favorite?

by marks » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:51 pm

I am in the market for an A/Mkt. Exhaust System and would like to take advantage of the knowledge this forum can offer. I have a 250CRF,2008 model. Nothing done to increase performance yet. I ride track mostly and would like to get an FMF system. Which FMF exhaust system is the favorite for most track riders that have experience? Is Ti best? Carbon Fiber? Alum. slip-on?

Bottom line-Which one is best/most popular for most advanced riders??

Thanks in advance!
    Kiwi

by Kiwi » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:03 pm

Regardless of exhaust system manufacturer:

1. Carbon fiber or titanium exhaust components do nothing to increase horsepower ... they simply are lighter weight.

2. I've heard many people complain about how carbon fiber and titanium mufflers don't last as long as stainless-steel mufflers and that they are more prone to cracked mounting flanges and such.

3. Titanium exhaust headers are indeed lighter than stainless-steel, but when hot titanium bends/dents much easier than stainless-steel. Many guys report that rocks kicked up off the front tire will dent a hot titanium header.

4. Titanium and carbon fiber cost significantly more than stainless-steel or mild steel exhaust parts.

Working on your riding style will yield much better "performance" than you'll experience as a result of choosing titanium over stainless.

The bottom line is, unless you're a top shelf rider who's looking at every possible way to get a competitive advantage ... simplify and go with stainless-steel parts.
    2007 CRF450X with modified airbox, Uni filter w/no backfire screen, NCVS needle on 4th, 172 main, CRFs fuel screw at 2, Boyesen QS3, stock smog, 450R cam, FMF Megabomb header, Pro Circuit T-4 muffler, Pro Taper Evo bars, AS suspension
    450xdirt

by 450xdirt » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:32 pm

Kiwi wrote:Regardless of exhaust system manufacturer:

1. Carbon fiber or titanium exhaust components do nothing to increase horsepower ... they simply are lighter weight.

2. I've heard many people complain about how carbon fiber and titanium mufflers don't last as long as stainless-steel mufflers and that they are more prone to cracked mounting flanges and such.

3. Titanium exhaust headers are indeed lighter than stainless-steel, but when hot titanium bends/dents much easier than stainless-steel. Many guys report that rocks kicked up off the front tire will dent a hot titanium header.

4. Titanium and carbon fiber cost significantly more than stainless-steel or mild steel exhaust parts.

Working on your riding style will yield much better "performance" than you'll experience as a result of choosing titanium over stainless.

The bottom line is, unless you're a top shelf rider who's looking at every possible way to get a competitive advantage ... simplify and go with stainless-steel parts.

+1 on that Kiwi, Very well put.