***SLIP THE CLUTCH**
    marks crf

***SLIP THE CLUTCH**

by marks crf » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:38 am

anyone slip the clutch on their mx machine to get more power out of a corner?
  • dobent4@yahoo.com

by dobent4@yahoo.com » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:04 am

It depends.
    On 125 two strokes it's required, on 250F's it is occasionally , if you're doing it on a 450 on a motocross track it should be very rarely, and off-road with a 450 even more rarely to never.
    All it is is slipping the clutch under load so that the engine picks up rpms to get to where the motor puts out it's best power.
    Depending on that to keep the engine in the meat of the powerband, unless you're talking the small bore bikes, should tell you something about what you're doing just before you feel you need to do so. Doug
    woodsman

by woodsman » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:38 am

dobent4@yahoo.com wrote:It depends.
    On 125 two strokes it's required, on 250F's it is occasionally , if you're doing it on a 450 on a motocross track it should be very rarely, and off-road with a 450 even more rarely to never.
    All it is is slipping the clutch under load so that the engine picks up rpms to get to where the motor puts out it's best power.
    Depending on that to keep the engine in the meat of the powerband, unless you're talking the small bore bikes, should tell you something about what you're doing just before you feel you need to do so. Doug

You're kidding right? In tight woods, my cousin and I slip our clutches all the time. I did before I got the rekluse that is. He's on a 250 two smoke, and having to slip it quite a bit.
    Currently, 05 450X
    Previously, KTM 790 Adv R, Cbr600rr, Crf450R, Crf250X
  • Wilcox

by Wilcox » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:13 pm

i agree with doug. i think slipping the clutch on a 450 in the woods is required rarely to never. That is unless your riding in trails that are so tight you have to ride slower than 1st can take you with full engagement. 450's have the torque to power you out of corners plenty fast without slipping the clutch. Slipping the clutch on a 450 is just a waste of money. Its taking money that could have been spent on other bike improvements and forcing you to spend it on replacing a burned out clutch.
    Skoot22

by Skoot22 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:27 pm

Where do you come up with all these questions. I feel like im in the TT general forum.
    Scott
    05 CRF450X
    Bakersfield, Ca
  • dobent4@yahoo.com

by dobent4@yahoo.com » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:30 pm

In tight woods, my cousin and I slip our clutches all the time. I did before I got the rekluse that is.
    Mike Laffertys mechanic, Alan Randt from Enduro Engineerig was talking about that .
    Heck, I know none of us are Mike Lafferty but he said that they could get 5-6 races out of a clutch on Laffertys 400-450's, simply because there's so little slipping then dumping the clutch to get more power to the ground in woods racing. Of course if you've got a nasty rock garden or whatever there's going to be some clutch work but that's different.
    Now ask yourself how you now ever get by without working the clutch now that you've got the Rekluse :D .
    Slipping the clutch on a 450 is just a waste of money
    . I agree. Now of course if you're on a MX track with tight 180 followed by a big jump you may want to do so if required, but even there it's a very rare need on a 450, way less than with smaller bikes.
    MXA had a letter fron a guy bitching about his CRF450R going through lots of clutches, in motocross have you,and they asked "Why ? The Hondas have great clutches and if you're always on the clutch on a CRF450R you're not riding the bike right.Buy a Hinson and lay off the clutch."
    250 two strokes do require some clutch work in tight stuff to keep from stalling, the same reason you need to do it on 450's but just more often, but there's a big difference using the clutch to not stall vs. using it to get a burst of power.
    I learned a lot of this stuff from an awesome school Dick Burleson put on about 20 years ago and I learned more from that guy than anyone,ever. He got me thinking about things differently than I did before. For instance that all wasted motion is bad, all of it, and when I find myself having to do a correction for instance doing a clutch slip for more power, to think about why I needed to do that, why wasn't I in the right gear and rpm range immediately before I found myself needing to do that.
    Those were all great lessons, but to have his talent for just one weekend. :lol:
    By the way, Dick will tell you that if Rekluses were available he would've run one, and if they would've known trials tires were so good in the woods they would've been on front and rear.
    Both he and Mark Hyde won a lot of races on the Husqvarna Automatics, a rebuild needed after every race but a bike way ahead of its time and very competitive. Doug