Cornering faster
    Orange Squishy

by Orange Squishy » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:26 pm

I am no expert but the one rule that changed my cornering:

"Weight the outside peg"

You're going into a right hand turn, slight berm:

- elbows up
    - shift your butt up the bike almost on the tank
    - as you lean the bike to the right, shift your butt so the left edge of the seat is wedged in to the crack of your butt, so the bike is leaning but your body is vertical
    - poke your right leg out and forward
    - literally try and stand up on the bike using ONLY your left leg, but don't actually stand, therefore placing a great deal of pressure on the left peg

This shifts the center of gravity to the left, away from the lean, preventing you from sliding out.

Once I got the hang of it, I found the bike was literally sticking to the corner. Problem is, it's bloody hard work so you (I!) need to be lean and strong to do it consistently.

I also use this when going through sweeping turns that are quite bumpy but I lift my butt slightly off the seat so my leg absorbs the bumps. Again, quite tiring for an old fella like me.
    2005 Honda CRF250R
    Lars450X

no replacement

by Lars450X » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:42 am

Practice and seat time are the best things to get better and more confident in your own riding abilities, we all have reasons for riding faster, and some of it is pride and keeping up with our buddies, yet making small advancements is better than riding over your head and crashing, now we all go down, just as others have said, watch the faster guys and have them follow you for a bit and they will tell you if you don't move around on your bike enough or if you need to lean your bike more into the turn and your own body english will be easy for them to see and tell you. The riding and not braking or clutching is an excellent drill to run and will in the long run make you faster cause you'll carry more speed than you thought you could through more corners. There is a bunch of info here that in time will help you and keeping your elbows up and leg inside and forward when turning are keys you'll see all the faster guys doing, when they become natural habits you'll become that guy who's fast and others will ask you to help them get faster.

Ride safe and Practice
    08 CRF450X Plated!
    Factory Connection Suspension
    RD Fuel Bowl, 170 Main/48 pilot
    Red Needle 3rd
    Rekluse Pro w/HD Cover
    Works Rad Braces, Applied smog E-kit
    05 R-Pipe w/moto-billet
    ProBend Cycra's / Moose Eline Carbon Skid
    Tubliss / Scotts Damper