Anybody ever have this issue? It's not looking good.
  • Can RV win the GP championship in his "rookie" year?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:12 pm

Yes
    33%
    No
    67%

Total votes: 3
  • Shogun

Anybody ever have this issue? It's not looking good.

by Shogun » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:12 pm

Hey everyone. Im pretty new to the site and joined mostly for the parts. And there is some really good info on the site as well. Basically I join just about any major forum that I have any reason to. I own a crf450r and have many friends that own crf's as well. Plus I bleed red. So today I would normally be riding, but I cant. A couple weeks ago I was diagnosed with Vertigo. It happened while I was riding in the woods. It sucked. If ya don't know what vertigo is basically spin around a baseball bat and try to function. No big deal I thought, but It hasn't really subsided. Now after a couple episodes, and another ER visit, I may have had a stroke. A mini stroke. So now im just trying to do some research on the subject and wait for the neurologist follow up. In the mean time Ive decided to try to make an effort to become active in part of a community that ive received so much info from and never really gave any input. Anyway, to start id like to ask what type of injuries/complications you may have had that kept ya sidelined from riding and what ya did in the mean time. Go hawks!
    RLPII

by RLPII » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:06 pm

A few years ago I was diagnosed with Migraines with vertigo. No headache, just get vertigo and still do not know what triggers them. At this point I am testing out the theory that it is related to being dehydrated. I am getting better at recognizing the symptoms BEFORE they get full blown and can usually control them with a dose or two of Aleve, drinking a LOT of water, and resting. The migraines don't last too long, but they wipe me out for a couple of days.
    I saw Ear, Nose & Throat doctors, Neurologists, Neurosurgeons and probably some I can't remember - but that was the final result, so you might check it out.
    While I still have my bike(s), don't ride much any more. I recently purchased a 1974 CJ Jeep and I am spending much of my time building it up.....it helps! Might have to hang up the helmet but not sure yet.
    Hope this helps, best of luck to you!
    Bob
    ~The way I ride no need to worry about cholesterol~
    2005 CRF 450 X
    riddler9

by riddler9 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:10 pm

In 2010 I shattered my left ring finger at the first knuckle. Talking 7 pieces in about 1/4" length. I had a scheduled surgery for my left shoulder that was less than 2 weeks from the date that I shattered the finger. The shoulder was elective, but I needed it to keep riding so I had it a couple of months later. A couple of months after that I had the hand operated on again - lost the whole year. Could not do much other than ride a bicycle.

2012 I tore the labrum on my right shoulder. Surgeon that did the left said nothing could be done. Riding was painful and the shoulder kept deteriorating until I landed on it in 2013. Same surgeon operated on it and ended up missing tears. After about a month I went to a different surgeon. He recommended injections and pushing it to see what happened. Winter came and the shoulder just got worse. Tried to ride a few times this year and it was nothing short of torture. Ended up having a second surgery in June - 1 hour 45 minutes to fix the thing (typical shoulder surgery is about 30 minutes). Bicep tendon and rotator cuff were both torn, along with 2 other significant rips and other clean-up. Post-op is going okay, but not sure what the future will bring. Getting my right knee scoped on the 6th in attempt to ease another problem. If the knee and shoulder heal up, I will likely get back on the bike next spring. If not, then I will likely trade ti for a cage. Problem for me is I just cannot take it easy on a bike- all or nothing kind of thing -but I don't bounce as well as I did 20 years ago.

Regarding what to do when you cannot ride, in my case the injuries were (are) physically limiting so my options have not been great. A stationary bike for the legs, and PT for the shoulder. I have been able to work on my sons truck - basically a frame-off build with new engine, etc. early in the year. Lots of power tools to help keep the shoulder quiet. More recently, as the shoulder is getting stronger, I installed a new stereo system (including building a sub box), and we are in the process of finishing up a 6" lift. Once that is done I will likely go back to working on finishing my basement.

I do not know much about vertigo, but it does not sound fun. I hope you are able to get it under control.
    Official Lurker

• ANYTHNGFAST

by ANYTHNGFAST » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:19 am

I had positional vertigo that lasted for weeks until they figured it out, there first response was panic attacks ( they had obviously never seen me ride) and gave me Xanax,( which can cause seizures if you come off them fast enough) Had to spend weeks on an IV because nausea was so bad. Hang in there!
    spaceboy

by spaceboy » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:44 pm

A couple things have kept me off the bike in the past. The first was I snapped the ligament in my right wrist (learning to snowboard). Spent 3 months in a cast while the "new" ligament healed. They drilled a hole through my scaphoid to bring the newly made ligament to my wrist and across the bones there. They also screwed the bones together so there was no movement while it all healed in the cast. I have maybe 80% movement in that wrist now.

Second thing that kept me off the bike for about half of last year was being diagnosed with cancer and having to go through chemo and radiation. I wanted to ride and I did try, just was not physically able to. I got out about 6 miles and was so physically exhausted I didn't know if I was even going to be able to make it back to where I parked my vehicle. Took it slow and found some shade to lay down in until I could recover enough to get back on the bike and try and make my way back to the truck.
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:32 am

Reading all the problems you guy's have & have had makes me embarrassed about complaining about a hang nail I have and little teeny blister on my toe... :oops:
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
    RLPII

by RLPII » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:06 pm

Back2-2 wrote:Reading all the problems you guy's have & have had makes me embarrassed about complaining about a hang nail I have and little teeny blister on my toe... :oops:

Not to mention the punctured lung and broken ribs! :lol:
    Your humility is misplaced here, some of us know YOU! Ha!
    How did your ride go last week?
    Bob
    2005 CRF 450 X
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:30 am

RLPII wrote:
    Back2-2 wrote:Reading all the problems you guy's have & have had makes me embarrassed about complaining about a hang nail I have and little teeny blister on my toe... :oops:

I rode like a little girl [or some old guy]. I was scared to go over anything larger than a paper plate. I was pathetic ! I was sore for 3-4 days later to top it off...

I am off next week so I'll have to go for it again.
    My max out of pocket is met on insurance so any injuries are covered from now to the end of the year - SO HERE GOES ! - :lol:
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
    RLPII

by RLPII » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:22 am

Back2-2 wrote:
    RLPII wrote:

I rode like a little girl [or some old guy]. I was scared to go over anything larger than a paper plate. I was pathetic ! I was sore for 3-4 days later to top it off...

I am off next week so I'll have to go for it again.
    My max out of pocket is met on insurance so any injuries are covered from now to the end of the year - SO HERE GOES ! - :lol:

Well, at least YOU rode..... :twisted:
    Bob
    2005 CRF 450 X