Need Input
    jdpgte

Need Input

by jdpgte » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:41 am

New to the site, planning to get a bike and have'nt had one in 25 years so I need some opinions as to what to get.
    I'm almost 49 years old, 220 pounds (but dieting), I plan to do a little trail riding a lot of playing on the practice track and will probably race it some too. I have'nt raced a dirt bike since 1984 and back then it was the old YZ's, I went from that to the 3-wheelers, and then to quads. Right now I have an 06 TRX450R and enjoy it but I want to get a bike again before I'm too old to have fun with it. Any input is greatly appreciated.
    motosicko

by motosicko » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:04 am

Welcome aboard,
    Sounds like you're a perfect fit for the 450R. How much do you want to spend is the question? Great deals now on new leftover 08's. The 09 fuel injected is the one to have if money isn't a factor. If it is, then any 06 or later used bike in good shape would be the answer. Lots of good deals out there now.
    "There are old racers
    and there are bold racers,
    but there are no old, bold racers who don't walk funny."
    jdpgte

by jdpgte » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:14 pm

I dont want to spend anymore than I have to but then again I don't want to be pushing it to the truck often either. You say 06 and later, I will take your word for that cause all I know about the CRF's is the motors are awesome in a quad and 02 had the best cam for the TRX's. Is there issues with the earlier bikes?
    motosicko

by motosicko » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:50 pm

Pre 06 were good bikes too. Only real problem with them was the valve seat material wasn't as good as 06 and on. The stock intakes are TI, and they were wearing down prematurely, mostly due to poor air filter maint. Most of the bikes that old have had their valves changed by now to stainless which holds up much better. So if you get an older one just do your homework so you know what to expect.
    "There are old racers
    and there are bold racers,
    but there are no old, bold racers who don't walk funny."
    jdpgte

by jdpgte » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:12 am

Ok, that was useful info, preciate it.
    With my body weight and riding style am I going to need a 450? Will a 250 pull my ol fat a$$ around a track?
    I do still jump with the quad but the longest I've done was 57 feet. Figuring the 10 less hp and double the machine weight, and then my weight,I just can't get more out of it, now I don't know if I will try to jump farther with the bike but I would'nt put it past me if I have the hp.
  • Asmith

by Asmith » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:15 am

A 250 will haul you around and if you were coming off a TRX400E you might be satisfied with it.

Coming from a TRX450R, it's gonna seem underpowered for you.

Nick was right on the money with his recommendation of a CRF450R.
    jdpgte

by jdpgte » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:45 pm

Thats what I needed to know --- thanks for the input.