trailwork
  • ev

trailwork

by ev » Sat Nov 20, 2004 4:33 am

Wissenhunt, the trail system I ride most, is one of the OHV areas in northern Georga. http://www.gartra.com/ members maintain those trails, so every 4th Sunday we work on the trails there, after Francis and Ivan hit it, we had to remove lots of trees, close 'detours'
    normally we work only half the day and ride all afternoon ;)
    and it is a lot of fun, doing someting together, get to know the faces behind the google, have lunch together and share some stories ...

the private place we picked for winter requires members to work the trails as well, guess it will be just as much fun

when a real beginner at home I used to walk the track with a shovel before riding and drain puddles if possible, the whole place was flat, so I kept digging holes next to the track to give the water a place to run to, over time other riders joined in, after a year or two of digging we had big puddles along the track, nicked "ev's carp ponds" :oops:

who takes care of the trails you ride?
    do you work there, too
    do you have problems with the forest service guys?
    do they cover you with stupid rules and regulations?
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:37 am

sounds great ev...so, the trails i ride mother nature cares for them...and right now she's made things very very difficult. they are as rutted out and nasty as ever. which means they are very challenging but also very fun.

the only controlled area i ride at would be mx tracks. they are getting pricey too.

ken
  • ev

by ev » Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:04 pm

our workday was canceled due to bad weather
    thankfully not everybody did know ;)
    so we had the 'work truck' a Big Bear loaded with tools and 5 people on the trails by 9am
    moved some fallen trees, dug some drenches, dug out and remounted some silk screens ...
    when we started the weather was great, later it started to drizzle, by the time we called it a day it poured, the Bear and I seemed to be the only ones not sugar coated, everybody else loaded up and left, we put in some 20 miles on slick clay, it poured hard enough to make us feel like riding in a creek, not on a trail, most of the time, we had not one single touchdown but a zillion of close calls
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:08 pm

sounds fun ev...i love riding in the rain (if you can stay warm that is)...it's been raining her since yesterday and it's very wet and the snow level is very low. i was suppose to go riding in the morning but the trail will be covered in snow...even an inch or two of the white stuff make this trail impossible....so, will have to wait and hope for warmer weather.

ken