Dirtbiking as a family sport
  • Has dirtbiking done good things for your relationship with your kid(s)?

Yes. It's definately helped.
    87%
    Dirtbiking is fun, but I have found other ways to connect with my kid(s) that they enjoy just as much.
    13%

Total votes: 23
    Monkeywrench

Dirtbiking as a family sport

by Monkeywrench » Wed May 16, 2007 7:43 pm

Well I have thought about this one for a long time now, and thought it would be a neat point for discussion. With father's day coming up I guess I couldn't help but to wonder. I have had a chance to meet a good number of family-type riding teams over the past few months, who get out and enjoy dirtbiking as a family sport. Some were father/son riders, some father/son/daughter, and some even father/son/daughter/mom. I guess it could be like any other sport or activity - maybe dirtbiking is no different... but I have to say I think it's pretty cool when these fathers stand on the side of the track, smiling ear to ear, that their 12-year old kid is out on the track grinding right on the back tires of 20+ year olds. :D That's just a neat thing to see.

Might be a be neat way to maybe pay tribute to, and be able to read about how this great sport may have helped improve the dad/son relationship that I seem to notice that's common to a lot of these families I have met. I know this is something I would have really enjoyed doing with my pop. But he was more of a tv sports follower, though.

So with father's day coming up, thumbs up to those who jump on and get dirty with your kids -- on behalf of someone who can't wait for that very day, keep going. You have to know they will remember these years some day. And it will have all been worth it. ;)
    -matt
    2006 450R

by 124 » Thu May 17, 2007 5:20 am

I didn't vote because neither applies. My 4yr old started riding his 50 about 2 months ago. It's very early so I can't tell if he's lovin it or hatin it. He was groomed to love motorcycles. He's been around motocross almost every weekend since he was 10 days old. I'm an officer in a private MX club, so he's constantly around everything MX. He gets to ride on the tractors, help his mom at the signup gate, and he's prolly one of the youngest kids to ever ride on a bulldozer with his ol' man! He has a private kid's MX track to ride on whenever he wants. Spoiled brat I tell ya!

Excuse me while I go yell at my dad... :roll: . J/K.
    70' Honda CT70 (Trail 70; Gold)
    16' KX450
    16' KX85
    12' YZ125
    JAWS

by JAWS » Thu May 17, 2007 5:34 am

I didn't get to connect to my daughter via dirt bikes, but I am with my Grandson and my son-in-law.
    Joe
    '05 CRF450X,McClain suspension, Cycra Probends, Pastrana FMX Pro Tapers,BRP Sub mount & Scotts stabilizer.See carb sticky for more
  • nedirtbikr

by nedirtbikr » Thu May 17, 2007 6:41 am

My son and I had a pretty good "connection" before dirtbikes however, dirtbiking has definitely enhanced our time together (spelled: LIGHTENED MY WALLET.) :)

My wife and I also skydive. That is his next goal. In NE you have to be 19 to legally jump. When he turns 18, we're going to IA for a birthday tandem. I'm hoping that activity will also keep us together as he begins his life as an adult.
    2006 CRF450R (For Sale)
    A-47753 (Jumpin' dirt and clouds!)
    Proud member of the Hamster Nation!
  • Asmith

by Asmith » Thu May 17, 2007 6:44 am

nedirtbikr wrote: When he turns 18, we're going to IA for a birthday tandem. I'm hoping that activity will also keep us together as he begins his life as an adult.

Well if the chute don't open you may be together longer than you expected... :lol:
  • nedirtbikr

by nedirtbikr » Thu May 17, 2007 7:18 am

~ wrote:Well if the chute don't open you may be together longer than you expected... :lol:
    That is kind of weird that you should mention that. Just two weekends ago, I had my first "scare the hell out of you" experience (at least since I've been jumping solo.) I had my first "hard pull."

Don't know if you've ever jumped, but a sport parachute has a pilot chute that you throw out which catches the air and pulls the main chute. Typically, we exit the aircraft around 10,000 and pull around 3000' and under canopy about 2200' - 2500'. On my last jump of the day, my pilot chute felt like it was sewn to my container :shock: . I had to pull like a mo'fo' to get that damn thing out. Imagine....about 120 mph, headed for the earth, you're already about 1000' PAST when your chute should have been deployed. I'm still very much a noob at jumping (only 117 jumps) so I'm REALLY puckering and starting to panic. Just a couple seconds away from pulling the reserve when the pilot finally popped out.

The main opened at about 1000' (talk about $hitting ones pants!) I ended up landing off the dropzone in this farmers front yard about 25' away from the guys new truck. He's out there, sees me coming out of the sky (obviously a bit out of control,) and waves at me just before I yard dart myself in his front lawn. He comes over to help me, laughing, and tells me he's just glad I didn't hit his roof, like a guy did last year, and gives me a ride back to the DZ. Pretty nice guy. We have a couple Farmer McNasty's around here that just cause us grief all the time.

I have had a couple of hard landings that have beaten me up a bit, but never that low of an opening (under stress.) Talkin' about a grown man about to cry! I do jump with a reserve, of course, but have never had to use it.

I want him to jump, but at the same time, he is an only child. You have to live life, but where do you draw the line for the kids (when it comes to life's adventures?)
    2006 CRF450R (For Sale)
    A-47753 (Jumpin' dirt and clouds!)
    Proud member of the Hamster Nation!
    djh65

by djh65 » Thu May 17, 2007 7:51 am

I got back into dirt biking in December. I got the bikes for the kids first then had to get the big dog for me. My girlfriend rides a crf100 my 9 year old daughter rides a crf70 and my 8 year old son rides a kx60. We go as a family and have a blast. Look like a family of quail but we still have fun. I love this sport. Teaching the son how to hit a berm. yes. I just wish we had started long ago. Daughter is still scared but getting better.
    06 HD450X made in america.
    Faster and faster til the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death!!!!
    JAWS

by JAWS » Thu May 17, 2007 9:20 am

djh65 wrote:I got back into dirt biking in December. I got the bikes for the kids first then had to get the big dog for me. My girlfriend rides a crf100 my 9 year old daughter rides a crf70 and my 8 year old son rides a kx60. We go as a family and have a blast. Look like a family of quail but we still have fun. I love this sport. Teaching the son how to hit a berm. yes. I just wish we had started long ago. Daughter is still scared but getting better.

That is just too funny! :)
    Joe
    '05 CRF450X,McClain suspension, Cycra Probends, Pastrana FMX Pro Tapers,BRP Sub mount & Scotts stabilizer.See carb sticky for more
    Monkeywrench

by Monkeywrench » Fri May 18, 2007 4:09 pm

Pretty neat reading.
    Most of my uncles were into fishing and range shooting practice. So many of my cousins had that to spend time with their dad's. But like the sky diving thing, you can't help but think that danger (maybe more appropriately put: SAFETY) somehow ends up being a key part to any good pastime father/son sport.

During the summers I have the opportunity to do fireworks displays (shcools, country clubs, things like that). And I've already made it a point that who ever the "Mrs" ends up being someday, she has to be ok with that if we have a son and he becomes of age, he'll be out on the field with me. ;) (insert life insurance sales pitch here)... Geico: not just for cavemen -- now writing high-risk policies for father/son sports. :P

But what's the saying... like father, like son. :lol:
    2006 450R