Idling rich and uneven, 2003 XR70
  • Generation450X

Idling rich and uneven, 2003 XR70

by Generation450X » Mon May 29, 2017 12:17 pm

I have a 2003 XR70. I recently replaced the fuel petcock/fuel strainer screen assembly. I am having trouble adjusting the idle. I have watched and followed the videos on this and other forums and feel that I have the air screw and idle adjustment close to good, but the bike idles unevenly and is rich as the exhaust odor is gassy. However, when I turn the petcock to the off position to allow the fuel in the carb to be used up while the engine is running, the idle becomes normal and the gassy odor of the exhaust becomes cleaner as the fuel in the carb is emptied. It seems the bike runs rich when the fuel petcock is open and it cleans up when the petcock is shut and the fuel reaches some "optimum" level as the fuel in the carb is consumed. The idle runs clean and even all the way until the carb is emptied.

Is this a float level issue? Or is a float level issue indicated by excess fuel dripping from the overflow line? I do not have fuel dripping from the carb at all.

You group knowledge is much appreciated!
    WC Skidplate, R. Caliper, R. Master Cyl guards
    Trail-Tech Comp
    Flatland Odom spacer, rad guards
    JD Jet
    TA filter
    Fastway case saver
    WB Block-off
    Rekluse z-start, dual-brake, and 2-finger clutch
    SFB clutch cov.
    airbox mods
    pinkwire mod
  • Aussiecrf230

Re: Idling rich and uneven, 2003 XR70

by Aussiecrf230 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:48 am

Check the float level and make sure the needle and seat are clean and not grooved. Make sure the float isn't heavy with fuel.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas