by JimDirt » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:59 pm

Keep us updated , hopefully this was the issue [-oo
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Charecter1

Re: 08 crf450r noise

by Charecter1 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:02 pm

Just got the bike put back together with a new clutch basket, needle bearing and collar and the “whirring” noise is still there. So now I’m starting to think it’s a bearing somewhere but the weird thing is, the noise goes away at higher Rpms. Maybe I’m hearing the kickstart idler gear?
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:48 pm

Personally at this point I would just ride it for a while and see if you notice any changes in the noise , such as louder , different RPM's , and keep looking at the oil filter for signs of shavings , maybe do a recheck on the cam (see if it wobbles or anything , like if the bearing is bad) , if the bike is starting and running fine , at this point I would just keep a eye on things and enjoy riding , unless you have unlimited financial resources , you have replaced and checked enough of the major components that might be a issue , and come up with nothing more than knowing they are not the issue.... for now , be observant , but have fun riding , if something is wrong it will rear its head eventually , unfortunately , the obvious things are not the issue , or at least not yet ....... keep us posted on any further issues or progress , but i think you have ruled out enough to ease your mind a little ..... 8-[ , if you have any more questions , or notice something and need confirmation , just ask .......... ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Charecter1

by Charecter1 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:03 pm

Personally at this point I would just ride it for a while and see if you notice any changes in the noise , such as louder , different RPM's , and keep looking at the oil filter for signs of shavings , maybe do a recheck on the cam (see if it wobbles or anything , like if the bearing is bad) , if the bike is starting and running fine , at this point I would just keep a eye on things and enjoy riding , unless you have unlimited financial resources , you have replaced and checked enough of the major components that might be a issue , and come up with nothing more than knowing they are not the issue.... for now , be observant , but have fun riding , if something is wrong it will rear its head eventually , unfortunately , the obvious things are not the issue , or at least not yet ....... keep us posted on any further issues or progress , but i think you have ruled out enough to ease your mind a little ..... 8-[ , if you have any more questions , or notice something and need confirmation , just ask .......... ;)
    Sounds like the best option, I’m going to quit worrying about it and just go out and finally enjoy my “new” bike. This is definitely my favorite 450 I’ve ever owned and I can handle an annoying noise until it shows signs of getting worse. And who knows, it might never get worse. Thank you, I’ll keep it updated If anything changes.
  • mframpton

by mframpton » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:51 am

I've got an 08 CRF450R as well. Mine has a whistle at low RPMs when I'm coming out of a corner. I too was concerned that it was bearings about to go but not seeing any shavings in the oil. I run 110 octane straight up and wondered if it was something to do with that. I was checking the valves and considering changing piston and rings along with timing chain. After reading the posts I think I'll just re-shim the valves and put it back together.

I love that 08 CRF450. I've got a 16 YZ250F and I'd rather ride the 08 CRF450R. It feels like I'm in the cockpit of the bike instead of riding on top of a horse and so forgiving. I ride the whole track in 3rd gear. My 250 I have to shift like crazy. Just when it's 90 deg F outside the carbed 08 does not like to start.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:15 pm

I've got an 08 CRF450R as well. Mine has a whistle at low RPMs when I'm coming out of a corner. I too was concerned that it was bearings about to go but not seeing any shavings in the oil. I run 110 octane straight up and wondered if it was something to do with that. I was checking the valves and considering changing piston and rings along with timing chain. After reading the posts I think I'll just re-shim the valves and put it back together.

I love that 08 CRF450. I've got a 16 YZ250F and I'd rather ride the 08 CRF450R. It feels like I'm in the cockpit of the bike instead of riding on top of a horse and so forgiving. I ride the whole track in 3rd gear. My 250 I have to shift like crazy. Just when it's 90 deg F outside the carbed 08 does not like to start.
    Welcome to the site !! \:D/

The thing about noises is , they tend to sound like they are coming from one spot and end up being from somewhere else , as the aluminum tends to amplify and echo the sounds coming from the engine .... And yea I agree on riding , I actually just rode a 2018 Suzuki RMZ450 yesterday , and then got back on my 02 CRF450R , and even though the suspension was nice on the RMZ , in 1 lap I felt like I do after 10 laps on my bike (I revalved my suspension ,so its real plush , so suspension wise they are fairly similar) , even though the bike was fun to ride , it was super sensitive (even more so than the 2019 CRF450R I rode on the same track) and because of it being so "twitchy" it literally wore me out in 1 lap ... granted I am almost 60 and have a bad heart and part of a lung missing , but I can still get around on a dirt bike ..... point being , When I do pull the trigger on a new bike (within the next 2 years) , I will be keeping my old ones , just for the reason you mentioned

Now back to your issue , ..... just keep a eye out for new or different noises , and keep scouring thru the oil filter looking for any shavings .... otherwise , you might just be hearing a random rattle , as these engines , are just noisy ..... as far as hard to start when the temp is hot .... Check your jetting , it should be equivalent to this chart ... your fuel screw should be 3/4 to 1-1/2 turns out from lightly seated , if you have to be under 3/4 out , then you need the next size Down in Pilot Jet , if you are more than 1-7/8 turns out you need the next size Larger Pilot , stock jetting is : 42/178 , f/s _ 1-1/4 out from lightly seated .....The warmer the air , the richer your bike will run , so you would want to lean the jetting a bit ,

Jetting Guide for Main Jet:(pilot 45) CRF450R/X

Sea level....165
    2000 ft.......162
    4000 ft.......160
    6000 ft.......158
    8000 ft.......155

Temperature/Elevation:
    One main jet size (up/down) for every 2,000 feet or 25 degrees in temp.
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Leardriver

by Leardriver » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:11 am

Running 110 octane gas, or any octane higher than 93, unless you have a 15-1 compression ratio piston, is killing your power and wallet. These bikes are designed for pump gas, and higher octane, while protecting from detonation on super high cylinder pressure motors, just burns slower and makes less power.
  • mframpton

by mframpton » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:00 am

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

The thing about noises is , they tend to sound like they are coming from one spot and end up being from somewhere else , as the aluminum tends to amplify and echo the sounds coming from the engine .... And yea I agree on riding , I actually just rode a 2018 Suzuki RMZ450 yesterday , and then got back on my 02 CRF450R , and even though the suspension was nice on the RMZ , in 1 lap I felt like I do after 10 laps on my bike (I revalved my suspension ,so its real plush , so suspension wise they are fairly similar) , even though the bike was fun to ride , it was super sensitive (even more so than the 2019 CRF450R I rode on the same track) and because of it being so "twitchy" it literally wore me out in 1 lap ... granted I am almost 60 and have a bad heart and part of a lung missing , but I can still get around on a dirt bike ..... point being , When I do pull the trigger on a new bike (within the next 2 years) , I will be keeping my old ones , just for the reason you mentioned

Now back to your issue , ..... just keep a eye out for new or different noises , and keep scouring thru the oil filter looking for any shavings .... otherwise , you might just be hearing a random rattle , as these engines , are just noisy ..... as far as hard to start when the temp is hot .... Check your jetting , it should be equivalent to this chart ... your fuel screw should be 3/4 to 1-1/2 turns out from lightly seated , if you have to be under 3/4 out , then you need the next size Down in Pilot Jet , if you are more than 1-7/8 turns out you need the next size Larger Pilot , stock jetting is : 42/178 , f/s _ 1-1/4 out from lightly seated .....The warmer the air , the richer your bike will run , so you would want to lean the jetting a bit ,

Jetting Guide for Main Jet:(pilot 45) CRF450R/X

Sea level....165
    2000 ft.......162
    4000 ft.......160
    6000 ft.......158
    8000 ft.......155

Temperature/Elevation:
    One main jet size (up/down) for every 2,000 feet or 25 degrees in temp.
    Oh and lastly on the topic. Initially I'd also considered a head leak but tossed that out quickly since I've not seen any coolant in places that shouldn't have coolant.