Clutch problems
  • Asmith41

Clutch problems

by Asmith41 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:05 pm

I just bought an 2005 crf450r and I noticed today (which was my first ride on it), that when i come to a stop with the clutch engaged the bike still pulls a little until i twist the throttle some. When I twist the throttle back while holding in the clutch it seems to engage as it should without pulling. The clutch lets out fine when I first crank it or when I start off. Could this just be needing adjustment or something more?
    JimDirt

Re: Clutch problems

by JimDirt » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:13 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

It could be just adjustment , but it also could be a worn basket , causing the clutch to drag at times and other times be normal

Adjusting the cable is easily tested by adjusting till there is no slop/slack in the lever then trying and seeing if it engages correctly , then loosen it slightly to give some lever free play , then see if it still works without dragging

To look at the clutch , simply lay the bike on its side with the clutch side grip on top of your bike stand/lift , then remove the 6 bolts on the rounded cover and then look at the basket and look for grooves where the friction disks go into the notches , if you see any ridges/grooves , then that could be the issue , and you will eventually need to replace the basket , you can file the grooves down 1 time if they are not real bad , and that will get you by for the season or so

A worn basket looks like this , those ridges should be a smooth surface
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Driftdr

by Driftdr » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:53 pm

Hi There,

I have a 08 CRF 450R, This is my first bike :) Love it \:D/ , Anyway my bike would clunk every now and then when starting off in first gear so i thought i would change the clutch out. I done a full clutch replacement and now the bike wont disengage when the lever is fully pulled in. I did notice groves on the outer basket, They seemed pretty bad. You mentioned that you can file them down and that could last a little longer. Do you remove the outer basket to do this or can you do this while it is still in the bike? If you have to remove it is this easy to do? Thanks for the help.

If i need to buy another outer basket where would be a good place to do this from? I live in New Zealand if thats any difference.

Cheers
    Ryan
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:44 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

You can do it while its in the bike , you just need to make sure that all shavings are caught with a rag , i would place a shop rag under the basket all the way around , then (after removing all the plates) place another one on the inside of the basket , that way when you file the shavings get caught in the rag , file the grooves out but try to do so evenly at each tab , so do the same number of strokes if you can , try to make the strokes inwards so the majority of the shavings go to the inside of the basket onto the rag/shop towel , you are doing this with the bike lying on its side , what i would do afterwards is leave the cover off after wiping everything in/on the basket as best you can , and wipe everything down till you get no shavings on the shop towel (the Blue Shop Towels you can buy at most automotive parts suppliers) , replace all the plates then replace the cover and fill with a full quart of oil and you should be good for a while

As far as a replacement basket it all depends on what you can afford or what you want and how mechanically inclined you are , if you get a Aftermarket basket , you will need to remove the ring gear from your clutch and install it on the new basket with parts provided , if you don't want to do that or get that involved in it , you can get a OEM/stock basket and it will come with the gear , you can buy from your local supplier or dealer , or you can buy either aftermarket or OEM right here , Ken ships everywhere , and tries to be reasonable with shipping costs as best he can ...you will need a few specialty tools to remove everything ...... , i would recommend buying a Factory Honda Service Manual if you do not already have one , it will tell you everything you need to know about replacing the basket and tools needed to do the job as well as torque specs , etc . ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho