Power up kit, Wont start now
  • Aussiecrf230

Re: Power up kit, Wont start now

by Aussiecrf230 » Wed May 17, 2017 3:01 am

Yep, not having it could causes issues when stopping. It acts as a baffle and stops air from being drawn from above. I did mention it several posts back. Was it there originally? It is easy to loose when putting float bowl back on.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • CrfMark

by CrfMark » Thu May 18, 2017 7:14 am

Thanks Ray.

It was never there since I've had the bike, and the bike has always stalled at low speed (mostly turning) or awkward positions.

It makes sense since it runs great at higher speeds when the main jet is working. The pilot sucking in air when going up or down hills and making sharp turns or coming to a stop makes perfect sense.

I went back and saw your previous post now, I guess I missed it. I don't think I would have understood what you were referring to if I hadn't seen the pictures of one.

I just ordered one.

Thanks again,
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Thu May 18, 2017 4:46 pm

Well luckily there available separately.
    I would be surprised if this doesn't fix the issue but let us all know how it goes either way.
    Hopefully in the end you got a bargain because someone last a bit of plastic.

As far as the power up needle vs the early needle goes it does seem to be a little bike/rider specific.
    I have tried both ways and found the power up kit to work better.
    Once your bike is sorted see how well the 45 pilot dials in, if you are say 2.5 turns out or more try the 48.
    Once again some bikes like 45 some 48. Needless to say a properly oiled and seated air filter can make a difference when tuning you bike.

Hope it goes well.

Also. The fuel screens in the fuel taps melt and collapse if you leave fuel in the tank over the months so definitely drain the tank and carb when not riding.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • CrfMark

by CrfMark » Sun May 28, 2017 11:11 am

Well, I got the baffle and installed it how the manual said to.

NO CHANGE.

I even took the stock needle into work and put a lower groove in it on the lathe exactly on .035" centers like the other slots.

Took out the petcock, blew compressed air through it.

I've tried every combination of jet and needle I have and it still stalls out at low speed for absolutely no reason.

Like I mentioned before. It seems like it just runs out of gas. ..... But it will fire right up when I hit the starter. ??????????

I'm beyond frustrated, I'm beyond my wits end.

I cannot ride tight single track with this bike.

Anybody want a bike that will haul A$$ all day long on the dirt roads or the track!! FOR SALE!!!!
  • CrfMark

by CrfMark » Sun May 28, 2017 12:24 pm

HOLY CRAP !!!!

HOLY CRAP !!!!

HOLY CRAP !!!!

So in a last ditch effort before I put this bike on Craigslist I decided to plug the diffuser? The baffle that screws into the spark arrester.

As mentioned in an earlier post I drilled out the end and drilled two holes through sided to side, just like shown on the Rick Ramsey CRF page.

So I temporarily covered the hole in the end with aluminum tape and put it back in the exhaust. The bike died very quickly while just idling. ??????? WTF I say to myself.
    Have I been going in the wrong direction? Have I been paying attention to not enough fuel, when I should have been paying attention to something else?

So WTF, I take the whole damn diffuser out and leave the spark arrester screen in. OK.

Start it,......it runs pretty good on idle. In fact I can actually turn the idle down a bit. OK.

Ride it. ........I just start putting around get it good and warm, and I can now ride it at slow speed without stalling. It actually acts like a completely different bike. ???????? Wow. I'm definitely surprised. I do not even really understand why it's working better. But it is, and I can do slow figure 8's without stalling. I can actually just creep along with it. It's much louder, but I can deal with that.

And an hour ago I was ready to throw it away!!!!

I'm running a 48 pilot, a 120 main, and I have the stock needle with a new lower position 3rd groove with the clip in the new groove.

I admit, I don't understand what happened, or why it's running better, but I'll take it !!!!!

Any technical explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mark

Hopefully this is the end of this problem. :D
  • CrfMark

by CrfMark » Sun May 28, 2017 2:24 pm

Never mind. Once again it only ran better for a very short period of time.

I quit.

Maybe it's just shot and I'm the one who got stuck with it.
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Tue May 30, 2017 2:12 am

Mark,
    Step away from the bike and put that fuel and matches down.
    It gets that way sometimes, so take a break for a few days.
    I wonder, do you have a bit of trash in the idle drillings that is sometimes blocked. If you haven't already,clean and blow out all passages. Visually check fuel mixture screw and hole. Make sure mixture screw is assembled properly too. There isn't a lot to these carbs so as long as the fuel runs in they should work even with less than perfect jetting.
    Failing all that think about the kill switch, clutch lever switch or side stand switch if on your model. At slow speed the bit of jerkiness may be enough to kill it. The fact it fires straight up after stopping leads me to believe it is not a coil or ign module issue. Check for loose or damaged wiring anyway.
    Best of luck don't give up yet. I have had a CR that wouldn't start years ago, pulled apart and tested everything and could not find anything wrong. Once back together never had a problem after that.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Tue May 30, 2017 11:00 am

The fact that it works great occasionally tells you that there is something amiss with either fuel or spark. I agree, time to back away from it to clear your mind and then start over with no assumptions. After you take a break re-read all of the suggestions here and ponder over them for a day or so. Then start from the top. if you have not inspected the float and float valve set/seat do. I've seen these get stuck or not set to the correct height or both and essentially causes fuel starvation. Also, the 120 is not the recommended main jet for use with the Power Up Jet Kit. It's not the cause of the problem you are experiencing but thought I would mention it while I'm posting.

Good luck.

Ken
    OEM Parts for Honda - Yamaha - Suzuki - Kawasaki: http://yeltrik.com

by CrfMark » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:58 am

*UPDATE*

First off, let me say thanks for for ideas and suggestions.

Secondly, let me add that I am electrically illiterate, I've stayed away from electrical work my entire life due to a "Shocking" incident as a child and the fact that I am color blind.

So I gave the bike to a friend who is very familiar with electrical systems and how they work.

He discovered that there was an intermittent problem with the kill switch that was A.) creating a weak spark, and B.) occasionally just randomly killing the running engine on its own when the engine had a load on it at very low speeds.

So the quick fix was to just disconnect the kill switch.

It seems to have worked. I know, I've claimed victory in the past and its come back to bite me so I'm being very reserved in my joy. The true test will be this weekend, but for now, so far, so good!
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:35 pm

Well good luck on the ride and replace it with a working kill switch ASAP.
    Never know when you might need to stop a hot angry bike that is on top off you, whilst sliding down a hillside, so you don't get important bits chopped of by a whirring chain.

Are you blue /green colour blind? My electrician mate has blue/green blindness.
    If so explains why you went with a Honda!
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

• CrfMark

by CrfMark » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:26 am

** SUCCESS !!!!!! \:D/

Took the bike out yesterday and I am completely thrilled with how she's running. We went out on some of the track used for the 2017 Broad Mountain Enduro held last month. A lot of it was pretty intense. The CRF230 performed flawlessly!!

I was able to lug through some pretty tight and rocky trails without any hesitation or problems what so ever. It just ran so well and I am so happy !!! And it seems an added bonus is seemingly more power and more speed. Although speed isn't really my Main concern. In fact, it's probably too fast for the front forks, I could feel them speghetti noodling all over the place when going fast over the haul roads.

Final setup:

120 main jet
    45 pilot jet
    Stock 2006 needle with the lower extra groove machined into it
    14T front sprocket
    UNI air filter
    Snorkel and rubber ring removed
    Exhaust baffle removed spark arrest or screen still in.
    Castrol Power1 full synth oil

Thanks again for all of the ideas and help.

Aussie, I have a Red/Green color blindness. The only reason I even bought the CRF was to have something to ride while I'm rebuilding my 05' KDX220 from the ground up. I should have my motor back by the end of the month.

But I'm pretty sure I'm keeping the little CRF230 now. Can't hurt to have two dirt bikes !! :D
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:59 am

There is never too many bikes,even if the significant other disagrees.
    Glad you enjoyed the ride they are a good tractor on single track.
    Kdx another classic bike!
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In